Projects and Funding
- Gender differences in experimental aneurysm formation.
- The role of sex hormones & its receptors in aneurysm formation
- Effect of bone marrow transplant & aortic transplant during aneurysm formation.
- Gender differences of inflammatory cytokines & angiogenesis in AAA.
- Stem cell application in the treatment of experimental aortic aneurysm.
- Effects of dietary phytoestrogen in aneurysm formation.
- Role of B2 cell-dependent differention of regulatory T cell in aortic aneurysm.
- Role of neutrophil extracellulat traps in AAA pathogenesis.
- Smooth muscle cell phenotypic switching during experimental aneurysm formation
- The Effects of KLF4 & KLF2 in experimental aortic aneurysm formation
- Effect of resolvins in the treatment of experimental aortic aneurysm.
- Anti-aneurysm drug screening.
- 2014-2019 NIH (RO1), PI: G.U. Gender /estrogen differences in AAA formation
- 2014-2019 NIH (RO1), PI: G.U. The role of neutrophil extracellular traps in AAA pathogenesis
- 2013- 2018 NIH Co-Investigator, Reuse of ZD4054 for patients with symptomatic PAD
- 2014-2017 AHA Scientist Development Grant, Mentor, Role of KLF2 in aortic aneurysm formation
- 2015-2020 NIH (RO1), PI: G.A. Role of IL-1R1 in cell transitions in aortic aneurysm Pathogenesis
- 2014-2018 NIH R01, Co-Investigator, Gender differences in experimental aortic aneurysms
- 2014-2018 AHA grant, PI (A.M.), mentor (G.A.), Role of B2 cell-dependent differentiation of regulatory T cell in aortic aneurysm.
- 2014- 2016 TSFRE Braunwald Fellowship, Mentor, Anisotropic Reinforcement of Acute Right Ventricular Dysfunction
- 2010 – 2015 Matching Funds for K08, PI (G.A.) Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education
- 2011 – 2014 Astra Zeneca, Pl (G.U.), Novel systemic targets to inhibit experimental aneurysm formation.
- 2009-2013 NIH (RO1), PI (G.U.), Gender differences in aortic aneurysm
- 2007-2012 NIH (RO1), PI (G.U.), Gender differences in aortic aneurysm
- 2001-2006 NIH Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award (KO8), PI (G.U.)
- 2001-2006 Lifeline Foundation® Research Award, PI (G.U.)
- 2010-2014 NIH (NHLBI), PI (G.A.) The Effects of KLF4 in Experimental Aortic Aneurysm Formation
- 2012-2014, , R21 HL111546, Co-PI (G.A), Anisotropic Reinforcement to improve post-infarction LV Function
- 2013-2014, University of Virginia Research & Design Award,(G.A.) Development of a Novel Anisotropic Patch to Treat Acute RV Failure
- 2010 – 2014 Astra Zeneca Collaboration, PI (G.A), Novel Systemic Targets to Inhibit Experimental Aneurysm Formation.
- 2011 – 2013 American Heart Association/ Innovation Grant, PI(G.A.), Use of microbubbles to deliver nanoparticles to aortic aneurysms.
- 2008 – 2011 Coulter Translational Research Program, University of Virginia. PI (G.A.), Therapeutic Modification of Myocardial Infarct Anisotropy.
- 2008 – 2010 Coulter Translational Research Program, University of Virginia. Co-PI (G.A.), A novel device to determine the cause of coagulopathy after cardiac surgery.
- 2008 – 2010 Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research & Education, PI (G.A.), The Effects of IL-1β on smooth muscle cell phenotype during experimental aortic aneurysm formation.
- 2007 – 2008, Partner’s Fund, University of Virginia. PI (G.A.), Effects of IL-1B on smooth muscle cell phenotypic switching in experimental aortic aneurysm formation.
- 2001 – 2003 Resident Research Scholarship, PI (G.A.), American College of Surgeons. The effects of gender and estrogen on experimental aneurysm formation.
For training and working opportunities in our lab, please contact:
For research collaboration and technical assistance, please contact our faculty and staff at the following address: