UVA’s surgeons were able to perform not just a conventional liver transplant, but they had enough confidence in my liver and their abilities to perform an auxiliary transplant. This involved taking a part of the transplant liver and piggy-backing it to my native liver rather than replacing mine with the transplanted one. It is a fascinating concept that is still relatively new and is mostly performed on children.
Leah Yetzer, liver transplant patient
I was convinced [to donate my kidney] because of the care I’ve received here over all of my life. I was born here. I got all of my medical care here growing up. If you’re going to have a transplant, you’re going to have it here.
Paul Watson, kidney donor
Leah and Paul and people like them are why our work at UVA Transplant matters. Every researcher working at a bench is dedicated to better results for patients in our clinic. Your contribution, whatever its size, can help ensure we are able to offer the best care based on advanced medical research.
You can partner with us to support this research by donating to the Charles O. Strickler Transplant Center.
Supporting research means helping us:
- Isolate healthy cells from an otherwise low-functioning pancreas, which then can be infused into a patient’s body, giving them better blood glucose control.
- Turn human tissue (such as skin) cells into stem cells that could be used to more quickly and effectively treat diseases like diabetes.
- Explore materials that are “biocompatible”: able to be used with our 3D printer to create an artificial pancreas.
- Develop biomarkers capable of providing earlier diagnoses for patients, which will allow treatments to be given sooner and have a greater likelihood of success. Biomarkers can also be used to monitor how well an organ is functioning after a transplant, improving long-term post-transplantation outcomes.
- Identify new methods to mitigate ischemia reperfusion injury (injury that occurs to an organ during the time that it is outside a body).
You may also donate to the Transplant Assistance Fund to help families who are struggling to meet the financial or logistical burdens of transplantation. For example, your donation could buy a gas card for a family who has to travel long distances for care.