Global Surgery Initiative
The University of Virginia Global Surgery Initiative is a joint effort between the UVA Department of Surgery and the UVA Center for Global Health that strives to develop education, research, and relationship development across disciplines and borders in the area of global surgery. This track combines didactic learning with international medical rotations and research to develop future leaders in Global Health.
- Provide opportunities for resident and faculty exchange in research and clinical education.
- Create mentorship for students, residents, and faculty interested in global surgery.
- Engage in international academic research, development, and training.
- Educate the UVA community regarding the burden of surgical disease and issues related to surgical accessibility in resource-limited settings.
- Connect with the public health community as it relates to health systems development and affordable surgical care both in the US and internationally.
- Encourage advocacy within the Virginia surgical community for access to basic, sustainable surgical services in resource-limited settings worldwide.